Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer for more info.
SPOILER ALERT: If you’ve come looking for “Last Fling Before the Ring” or “It’s My Final Fiesta” ideas, then you’ve come to the wrong place. Seriously, that was so last decade ago.
We here at Modern MOH are all about keeping up with the times and that means saying goodbye to those overused and outdated bachelorette party themes. Trust us when we say that new trends are quickly emerging and in order to be the GMOHOAT (greatest maid of honor of all time), you gotta stay ahead of the game. Lucky for you, we’ve done our research and are here to give you all the insider tips to pull off the bachelorette bash of the year. From refreshingly retro to fascinatingly futuristic, we’ve got five fresh bachelorette party themes for every type of girl gang.
1. Girls Gone Green: An Eco-Friendly Bachelorette Party
News flash: getting wasted doesn’t mean you have to make waste. With more and more people choosing to lead a sustainable lifestyle, an eco-friendly bachelorette party is the perfect theme for this year and those to come. No matter where you’re at on the sustainability spectrum, we highly encourage you to incorporate a few of these ideas into your upcoming bash.
- Reusable Drinkware- Instead of stocking up on plastic solo cups and tacky penis straws, purchase a set of stainless steel tumblers, straws included, for you and your girls to reuse all weekend long.
- Zero Waste Favors- Skip the cheap accessories that you’ll never wear again, or the koozies you’ll just throw into your junk drawer, and opt for something environmentally-friendly like these DIY gemstone soap favors.
- Thrift Shop Threads- Save money and material by bypassing the traditional ‘bride squad’ shirts for some mix n’ match finds from your local thrift shop. Better yet, see if you can’t find a variety of old wedding dresses to wear out on the town.
- Send Evites- If you’re planning to send out invitations or itineraries to your group, go paperless by sending them electronically.
- Travel Together- Depending on where you’re traveling to, make plans to carpool with as many other group members as possible (this goes for Ubers too!)
- Research Restaurants- Skip the chain restaurants and eat at local farm-to-table establishments instead.
2. She’s All That (And a Bag of Chips): A ‘90s-Themed Bachelorette Party
It may by 2020, but word on the street is that the 1990s are giving this new decade a serious (re)run for its money. Research shows that retro is totally in and we are totally obsessed. Having lived through this epic end of the century, we are hyped to dish out all the dope details you need for a hip-hoppin’ ‘90s-themed bachelorette party.
- Scrunchies- No ‘90s-themed bachelorette is complete without this ultimate hair accessory. Grab a velvet or satin scrunchie for each of your girls and rock those side ponies all night long.
- Fanny Packs- These were possibly the greatest invention of the ‘90s and we are so glad they are making a comeback. Strap on these matching bachelorette fanny packs and get ready to party the night away (without worrying about losing your purse!)
- Tie-Dye Shirts- We can’t forget the final, and perhaps most impressive, fashion trend of the ‘90s. For those looking to be totally unique, we suggest these customizable monogrammed shirts that come in a variety of colors. If you’re looking to let the tie dye speak for itself, these super cute crop tied shirts are the way to go.
- Create a ‘90s Playlist- From pop to rock to hip hop, the ‘90s music scene is forever unrivaled. That’s why it’s an absolute must to put together a killer playlist to jam out to. We’re talking *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey, Spice Girls, Céline Dion… anything that you can sing your heart out or shake your booty to! Need ideas? Check Spotify’s “All Out 90s”, “Gold School”, and “I Love My ‘90s R&B” playlists.
- Play M.A.S.H.- Break out your composition books and gel pens (or just download this adorable printable) and get ready to play the ultimate slumber party game of the ‘90s. Take turns predicting everyone’s future and get a good laugh at how accurate (or inaccurate) the bride-to-be’s fortune is.
- DIY Ring Jello Shots- Ring Pops, but make it alcoholic. Whip up a batch of these Diamond Ring Jello Shots and rock them like you did back in the ‘90s. Pro tip: Keep them on while you’re out and about to double as a shot glass.
3. Treat Yo Self: A Wellness-Themed Bachelorette Party
What better way to celebrate the bride-to-be in 2020 (aka the year of self-care) than with a weekend dedicated to her mental, physical and emotional wellness. This mindful approach is perfect for those looking to avoid a three-day bender that will leave them feeling broke, bloated and blah. Let us be very clear: alcohol consumption is totally acceptable as long as the word moderation is kept into consideration.
- Healthy Eats and Drinks- Skip the chips and dip and stock up on fresh fruits and veggies instead. Save money and calories by planning a healthy home cooked meal (or two). If drinking alcohol, swap out soda and juice mixers for seltzer or water and opt for light beers over heavy IPAs. Hungover? Hit up a local juice bar to detox instead of ordering McDonald’s off of UberEats.
- Mood-Booster Playlist- Pair your healthy diet with some feel-good music and you have the perfect self-care combination. Blast some sing-along songs with your girls while getting ready or unwind after a long day with some soulful tunes- whatever works best for you! Need ideas? Check Spotify’s “Mood Booster”, “Songs to Sing in the Car”, and “Getting Ready” playlists.
- A Bedtime- Yes, we are totally serious with this one. Having a set bedtime is necessary to ensure that you and your girls are well-rested for the following day’s activities. As much as we love staying up giggling into the wee hours, we love a solid 8 hours of sleep more (and so should you). Trust us, your body will thank you for it in the morning.
- Limit Social Media Use- If you’re anything like us, this must-do may come as a serious challenge. However, the key to enjoying your weekend of wellness is to push the FOMO aside and just live in the moment! (crazy concept, right?) So instead of posting each and every photo, video, or boomerang as it’s happening, simply save them to be posted once the weekend is over.
- Book a Spa Treatment- Whether it’s a mani, pedi, massage or facial (or the whole package if you’re feeling frisky), a spa treatment is a total must for this treat yo self theme. Not only is this an opportunity for your group to bond in a relaxing environment, it’s also the perfect way to help the bride-to-be destress before her big day.
- Take an Exercise/Yoga Class- Depending on what type of exercise your future Mrs. prefers, sign your group up for the guided class of her choice. We consider this a win-win because you’ll be sweating out the fun from last night while getting your blood pumping for the exciting day ahead! As an added bonus, hold a morning meditation to guarantee that everyone starts the day off with a clear head.
4. Weekend in the Woods: A Nature-Themed Bachelorette Party
Move over ‘Last Sail Before the Veil’ because ‘Camp Bachelorette’ is taking over. That’s right, we’re leaving the been there, done that destinations in the past and looking forward to the future of bachelorette party locations: Glampgrounds (or campgrounds for my true outdoors-lovin’ ladies). So make sure your flasks are filled and your lanterns are lit ‘cause it’s about to get intents #dadjoke
- Survival Kit- Throw together a fun bachelorette-themed survival kit to help you and your girls survive your weekend in the woods. Include camping necessities such as flashlights, matches and bug spray, as well as fun extras like personalized flasks and packets of trail mix. As an added bonus, package everything together in these adorable favor bags!
- Matching Flannels- The key to becoming a successful glamper is to look the part and to us that means flannel. If your bride-to-be is celebrating during colder months, we love these custom flannels that can also double as getting ready outfits come wedding morning. Planning a summer bachelorette? Layer these adorable shirts with plain flannels that can be tied around your waist when it gets too hot.
- Campfire Cocktails- What better way to cozy up by the campfire than with a cocktail in your hand? For spring and summer trips, check out these 20 refreshing mason jar cocktails. For fall and winter trips, these hot cocktails are the perfect way to warm you up from the inside out.
- Book a Guided Adventure- The entire point of celebrating in the outdoors is to get out and enjoy nature. Depending on the time of year and your specific location, book a guided adventure of the bride-to-be’s choice. Think hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, or SUPing.
- DIY Flower Crowns- Your bride-to-be deserves to feel like royalty on her bachelorette party and what better way than with a beautiful flower crown. Check out this DIY flower crown bar for inspiration and be sure to snap pics of the finished product.
- Make S’mores- What’s the point of having a campfire if you’re not going to toast some S’mores? Graham crackers+Chocolate bars+Marshmallows= Heaven on a stick. Just make sure that you have plenty to go around!
5. Written in the Stars: An Astrology-Themed Bachelorette Party
Our research says that astrology-inspired parties are in for 2020 and we are so here for it. We love all things zodiac and if your bride-to-be does too, then this is the perfect theme for her bachelorette party. So gather your fellow star-lovin’ sisters and get ready to throw a bash that is out of this world.
- Zodiac Favors- No astrology-inspired bachelorette party is complete without personalized zodiac favors. We love these pendant necklaces or these stemless wine glasses.
- Star Sign Shirts- Rock out with your star sign out wearing these adorable constellation shirts. Don’t forget to snap a group photo with all your stars aligned!
- Astrology Mixology- Keep with the theme by mixing up some cosmic cocktails for you and your girls. Find the signature cocktail for your zodiac sign or grab this fun The Mixology of Astrology book.
- Hire an Astrologer- Pitch in to hire an astrologer to give you and your group a reading, whether it be online or at home. Check Thumbtack for virtual astrologers or do a simple Google search to find those available in your area.
- Star Sign Scavenger Hunt- Before the weekend is over, your group must meet someone who represents each star sign and take a picture with them. Make it competitive by breaking into teams, and the first team to find all 12 signs wins!
- Galaxy Glam- Search “Galaxy Makeup Tutorial” on Pinterest and prepared to be amazed. We don’t expect the full glow up, but adding some blues, purples and silver sparkles to your regular routine will take your look to the next level.